Monday, July 18, 2005

Christ in you, the hope of glory


What is your deepest fear?

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you Not to be?
You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the World. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
Nelson Mandela 1994, Inaugural Speech


Heard that quoted by a rebellious basketball player from "Coach Carter" when the coach questioned him "What is your greatest fear?" each time he quit the team when it got tough..
Just when I thought I had enough of movies with inspiration coaches who take the team from nothing to victory after victory.. I was pretty touched by this one cos it talked about the value that the Coach saw in his players that went beyond just winning ball games.
He saw potential, the hope of glory..

Reading Mendela's statement, about being born to manifest God's glory that is in us, all of us.. reminds me anew what it means to believe in another person, not just believers but for all people. Challenged anew, no one is beyond the grace of God, no one is not worth the effort to reach out to, to believe in.. Inspired to shepherd more and not be scared to speak the truth..

My pastor Tim once talked about human relationships, not just the BGR stuff and this phrase he said that stuck with me since, was that it is a common hope that keeps us united, keeps us committed...

"Christ in you, the hope of glory.."

I believe in that.. idealistic though some may say but who is to blame me for being Hope-full! (no pun intended)

2 comments:

Tiger said...

ah... i like that statement. Now its in writing, it seems much clearer. Couldn't catch the full text in coach carter, sooo fast.

Kaidy said...

Hey, for one moment I thought the character in the show thought it up all my himself, then I found out it was by Mendela. AND yah when I read it again its was woah..

About Me

" One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple - Psalm 27:4