Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kong Bak



KONG BAK: Succulent slivers of pork belly slow cooked in dark soy, 冰糖 (rock sugar)and garlic is Mum's long drooled over dish.

I pre-marinate the sliced up pork belly in dark soy sauce & five spice powder
Mum's secret to firm tasty meat is to dry-fry the pork in oil until the liquid "comes out" of the pork before you add water and the rest of the ingredients.

Ta - Da after 3 hours of low simmering.. check out the lovely skin. Our dinner guests gobbled the pieces up, skin and all.

Next I try, He bi hiam + stir-fried kang kong (water convolvulus).


La moulinette - As recommended by Donna Hay magazine, best $79 dollars spent, small efficient and easy to clean. I chuck in a handful of dried prawns + 5 dried chilli (didn't dare to add too much cos Dave won't be able to take it!) Didn't know making hebi hiam was that easy.

Stir fry blended Hebi & Dried chili in lotsa oil

My sambal kangkongStill need to work out the food photography side of things and the kong bak was a tad sweet.

4 comments:

austin said...

u should take place in the australian master chief.yummy!!!austin

Kaidy said...

Hi Austin! I still need to train and learn from my Mum

Room to Think said...

oh man, i am so getting myself some hei bi...goodness, drooling over my desk...your kongbak can make it on a mag cover with some chinese parsley leaves on top for colour contrast and deco. haha...maybe a fresh red chilli beside it otherwise donna hay says "too brown" but boy does it look totally yummylicious!

Kaidy said...

Hi Joc! took me some time to figure out who you were but I visited your blog!

Yah maybe some day out there I would be able to cook for Donna Hay mag!

About Me

" One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple - Psalm 27:4