Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas holiday cooking

My sister (my whole family) loves looking at food and what I've been cooking up so here's what I've been cooking in our little kitchen that gets no rest... (esp since I've acquired these two babies in addition to my Jamie's America as Christmas gifts)

Bourke Street Bakery Cookbook from Dave + pearl necklace

Masterchef Cookbook from Mark & Winnie


Have yet to start on stuff from both the new books but I've made two dishes from Jamie's America

1st up: Chilli con carne

Some of the spices and used: Fresh oregano from my balcony herb garden, cinnamon, garlic, fresh chili and dried bay leaves.

Other ingredients: chopped onions, rump steak (cubed +minced), ground cumin, paprika, tinned chopped tomatoes, tin of borlotti beans( I ran out of kidney beans), red capsicum.


And this: "Is that soy-sauce?" Dave asked when he saw this...

"Nope, just dried chilli hydrated in coffee" ..." interesting..."
Apparently when Jamie Oliver learned the recipe, the cowboys he was with added their coffee to it as a source of liquid to keep the temperature down as they cooked it over an open fire.

First time using this ingredient

Ok... doesn't look that great but the taste really packs a punch, Dave even felt that I could have added more chilli to it. Once again Jamie Oliver's recipe impresses. Adding coffee imparted a different flavour to it. Tastes even better the next day!


And we had it with avocado + sweet corn and some steamed rice.

2nd: Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing

Only took pictures when the cupcakes came out, was in a rush so forgot shots with cream cheese but they were yummy.

Ok... now to attempt making my own sweet shortcrust pastry for tomorrow's bourbon pecan pie.

3 comments:

ektofu said...

hi monks! cupcakes are looking good! but they shouldnt be all cracked at the top! you might have overbaked them a little, or too high temp! tweak it abit and it'll be perfecto!

Kaidy said...

OOo okie! tip noted.. no wondering piping the icing was a bit hard and they were a bit oddly shaped so not very pretty

Anonymous said...

wow dear, the velvet cupcakes look divine :)

About Me

" One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple - Psalm 27:4