Thursday, June 14, 2007

A new take on His Merciful kindness

Exerpts from the book study I'm currently doing from Cynthia Heald.
Verses and quotes that I am thinking about.

"I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are right, and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me. Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to Your servant. Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live;" - Psalm 119:75-77

It is in His faithfulness that He afflicts me. His purpose for the character of Christ to manifest in my life.

"No literature is more realistic and honest in facing the harsh facts of life than the Bible. At no time is there the faintest suggestion that the life of faith exempts us from difficulties. What it promises is preservation from all the evil in them.... All the water in the all the oceans cannot sink a ship unless it gets inside. Nor can all the trouble in the world harm us unless it gets within us. That is the promise of Psalm121: "The Lord will keep you from all evil" - Eugene Peterson

Evil can only hurt me if I allow it to.

" To believe actively that our Heavenly Father constantly spreads around us providential circumstances that work for our present good and our everylasting well-being brings to the soul veritable benediction. Most of us go through life praying a little, planning a little, jockeying for position, hoping but never being quite certain of anything, and always secretly afraid that we will miss the way. This is a tragic waste of truth and never gives rest to the heart. There is a better way. It is to repudiate our own wisdom and take instead the infinite wisdom of God. Our insistence upon seeing ahead is natural enough, but it is a real hindrance to our spiritual progress. God has charged Himself with full responsibility for our eternal happiness and stands ready to take over the management of our lives the moment we turn in faith to Him. " - A.W. Tozer

Wow, it feels as if Tozer had put all that I'm thinking about into plain words. This morning, as I took the train out to Wentworthville I saw it "A magnificent rainbow" not just the end or half of it but the full version of it stretching across the sky. I was intrigued, staring at it for long before I read Tozer's words above. "God's promises, are Yes and Amen" a stir in my spirit knowing this rainbow was just for me.
An expression of God's love for me, His little surprise present to lift up my spirit, assurance saying "I love you, I am near, this is for you because you are my beloved.." I saw one like this when I took the wrong train once, the lesson learnt at that time was that sometimes when we make a mistake, God will still take us to our destination, it will just take longer. Today His promises.. It will come to pass.


No comments:

About Me

" One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple - Psalm 27:4