Friday, January 22, 2010

Mains-Veal Cutlets and Gumbo

Mains I served up during the Christmas holidays...

From the masterchef cookbook, veal cutlets and tarragon chips with mushroom sauce

Start with fresh ingredients... lovely pinky veal cutlets.First time using tarragon... with thinly cut potato chips




Dinner is served!

The next thing I try is from Jamie's America after Dave reminded me countless times that I promised to make him gumbo.

First I fried the spicy italian sausage to get the oils out before setting them aside.

Using the oils, add plain flour and keep frying and stirring until peanut butter coloured or browner.. this is called the roux.... fascinating concept of using the fat from good sausages and mixing it with flour to make this tasty paste.

Then add the "holy trinity" of gumbo, onions + celery + capsicum
Added okra (ladies fingers) as a natural thickener for the gumbo
Fresh prawns, peeled and deveined

Last in are the chicken and prawns. Once they are cooked, it'll be ready to serve, serve with rice or a crusty bread roll

Perfectly matched with a James Squire golden ale

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Room to Think said...

Hey, just wondering if you found out whether you will be going back to Singapore or staying in Sydney. Any prayer requests on this?

The food all looks immensely good, you're such a natural! If you get a chance, could you post your recipe for the red velvet cupcakes please? :)

Take care hey...
Jos

Room to Think said...

Oh, maybe you should change your settings to moderate all comments before they get posted?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kaidy said...

Hi Jos,

This week is going to be a decision week for us, hopefully I get notified of the outcome of my interview in Singapore. So YES! Please pray for us!!

I think better email it to you could you email me your addy? Its a Jamie Oliver's recipe and the cream cheese frosting is so yummy!

Changed the settings already.. i'm hopeless at all this tech stuff.. I think I have to limit the access to my blog.

Room to Think said...

oh i don't know your email add...haha...mine is jos_chia@yahoo.com, thanks!

guess you know the answer by now? today's sat, the 27th, just saw your comment. can't even recall now when i posted that, oops.

will continue to pray for wisdom and trust that God knows what He's doing and will bring everything together in perfect timing.

About Me

" One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple - Psalm 27:4